When it comes to sanding equipment, benchtop sanders are amongst the best. Whether you are a pro or a DIY enthusiast, such a machine will prove to be an excellent investment. It may not be as portable as their hand-held counterparts, but given their power and their versatility, they are a must in a variety of projects.
In the short benchtop sander reviews below, I will provide you with a quick look at some of the top products that are available in the market. To add, I will also go through some of their notable features, as well as a few of their pros and cons. This will help you to make the right decision and be provided the best value for your money.
How to Choose the Best Benchtop Sanders
Reading the best benchtop sander reviews is a good starting point to help you narrow down the possibilities. Aside from the feedback from other users, below are other important considerations:
· Ease of Use: Especially if you are a novice user, you should pick a product that is effortless to use. It will be good if it is ready to be used out of the box so that you won’t have to exert effort in its assembly. Changing the pads or the belt should also be effortless on your end.
· Versatility: If you want the best value for money, you need to choose one that is multifunctional, which will allow you to use the product in more ways than one. It will be good if it can function both as a belt and disc sander. You must also be able to make adjustments, such as the angle or position of the table.
· Power: Look for a belt sander that will be able to handle the task that you intend to do. Have a quick look at the motor and see if its horsepower is more than enough for the demands of the sanding job, especially if you are buying one for professional use.
· Durability: No one wants to buy a tool that will not withstand the test of time. That being said, consider the materials that are used and see to it that they will not be easily prone to wear and tear.
· Base: One of the most important parts of a benchtop sander is the base. The base should be stable as it helps to reduce vibration when you are sanding. This will greatly impact comfort and will help minimize fatigue. Cast iron and steel are some of the best base materials to keep the equipment stable as you work.
· Dust Collection: Sanding can be messy. Dust can go just anywhere and this can make the work area messy. This can also interfere with your vision. With this, make sure that there is an impressive system to collect dust.
Tips for Using Benchtop Sanders
More than knowing how to choose, you should also pay attention to how it is properly used. With this, below are some tips to keep in mind:
· Always protect yourself when you are sanding. Googles and face mask are some of the most important to have protection from dust and debris.
· Pay attention to the quality of the sanding belts as they will influence the outcomes. They should never be too tight or too loose.
· Use fluid and natural motion when sanding. Sand in a downward stroking motion. Move with the material, not against it.
TOP 5 Benchtop Sander Reviews
Below are some of the best brands and models that you might want to include in your list of options.
Shop Fox W1831
Wen 6502 Disc Sander with Cast Iron Base
Versatility is one of the reasons why this can prove to be a top-notch choice in the marketplace. It functions both as a disc and belt sander, which means that you can enjoy two functions in a single product.
More than being multifunctional, it has garnered positive responses from its users because of its unmatched power. It is incorporated into a 4.3-amp motor, which can deliver up to 3,600 RPM. This makes it effortless to tackle a wide array of tasks.
There are also several features that will ensure its ease of use. For instance, it comes with a tension release lever, which makes it quick to change sandpaper grit. There is also an integrated dust collection port to keep the area mess-free and to provide a clear vision while you are sanding.
Lastly, there is an extended blade guard, which is beneficial in terms of safety. It prevents unwanted objects, such as hair strands, from getting stuck in the belt.
· Changing and adjusting belt is effortless
· Comes with a well-designed dust port
· Delivers versatile and reliable functionality
· Can have durability issues
· Bolts can easily loosen
Grizzly H6070 Belt and Disc Sander
If you want a benchtop sander that is built specifically for small-scale jobs, this can prove to be a promising option. It comes with a 110-volt 1/3 HP motor, which has a speed of 3450 RPM. For flexibility, it can be used both as a disc a belt and disc sander.
With an average weight of 20 pounds, this can also be an excellent choice when it comes to portability. It is designed in such a way that it can be moved with ease, regardless of where you intend to get the work done.
Right out of the box, the assembly of the unit does not need to be complicated. The kit is inclusive of everything that you will need. The manufacturer also provides comprehensive instructions to easily complete its assembly.
Lastly, it also has a dust collection system, which does not only keep the area clean, but also helps prolong the functional life of the internal components.
· Motor does not choke
· Can be tilted to up to 45 degrees
· Set-up is easy right out of the box
· Minimal load capacity
· Some plastic components can be flimsy
Rockwell RK7866 Belt Disc Sander
This is another option that is perfect if you want a multifunctional sanding equipment. It can be used either as a belt or disc sander. Regardless of its function, you can expect superior outcomes, which can be attributed to its powerful 4.3-amp induction motor.
To make it more versatile, you will have complete control of the unit and have it customized based on the requirements of a specific task. For instance, the position of the belt can be customized from 0 to 90 degrees. The sanding table, on the other hand, can be set from 0 to 45 degrees.
It is also incorporated into a quick release belt tension lever, which is one of the reasons why it is user-friendly. With the latter, changing the belt of the sander will be almost effortless of your end.
· Lightweight body
· Easy to assemble
· Functions as a belt and disc sander
· Does not come with a dust bag
· Belt can be easily prone to wear
Kalamazoo 1SM Belt Sander
For sanding knives, this is perhaps one of the best options that can be taken into account. Take note, however, that because of its size and limitations, it might not be as impressive when it comes to woodworking.
This sanding equipment is fitted with a 1/3 HP motor that has a fixed speed of 1,725 RPM. For flexibility, the worktable can be tilted depending on the angle at which you would like to sand. It also comes with a belt supporter and a 4-inch contact wheel.
To add, the unit also comes with spring-tensioned rollers. One of the benefits of the latter is that it can maintain the tracking and consistency of the belt.
· Has a powerful motor
· Changing sandpaper grits is easy
· Work table can be tilted
· Only has a single speed
· Small tool plate
Ridgid EB4424 Sander
For belt and spindle sanding, this model, although it is a bit expensive, can prove to be a promising option. Two functions are combined in a high-performance equipment, which is even made better by the fact that it is made with the use of durable components.
Converting from belt to a spindle sander will also be effortless, especially because there is no need to use any special tool.
Another thing to love in this product is the ball-bearing construction. The latter does not only make it durable, but also makes sure that it is going to run smoothly.
To sand, it uses oscillating and rotary motion. This means that you can expect the work not only to be quick, but also to be burn-free.
· Easy to change spindles
· Durable construction
· Powerful motor
· Expensive price
· Assembly can be quite tricky
From the benchtop belt sander reviews above, you can see that these five products are exceptional. If there is only one that I can recommend, however, it would be Wen 6502 Disc Sander with Cast Iron Base. The latter offers easy sanding and impressive results, regardless if it is a small or large project that you intend to complete.