Convenient and easy to use – these are just two of the things that make battery-powered weed eaters a good investment for a gardening equipment. They are lightweight, and hence, won’t require too much effort on your end.
Some might be worried that their batteries won’t last long. With the latest technologies, this is no longer the case. A lot of batteries are lightweight without compromising their power.
If you are on the lookout for the best battery-powered weed eaters, read on and we’ll help you come up with the right decision
Benefits of Battery-Powered Weed Eaters
To begin with, let us have a quick rundown of some of the benefits of using a battery-powered weed eater:
· Portable: One of the best things about this type of string trimmer is that it is portable. You can use and bring it anywhere because it is cordless.
· Lightweight: Most models that fall under this category are known for keeping their weight at a minimum, making them easy and comfortable to use.
· Quiet: Compared to their gas-powered counterparts, those that are equipped with a battery tends to be quieter even when they are delivering a powerful performance.
· Easy to Maintain: It does not require a lot of effort in terms of care and maintenance unlike those that are gas-powered.
· Easy to Use: There is no need for priming or for pulling a cord to start a battery-powered weed eater. Often, all it takes is a push of a single button for it to start.
· Good for the Environment: Again, this is a benefit that makes it better than those that are gas-powered. They do not produce emissions that can harm the environment.
Types of Batteries for Weed Eaters
A good way to classify the weed eaters available on the market would be on the basis of the batteries that they use. For the cheap models, they usually run on a nickel-cadmium battery. It is rugged and has a high-cycle, provided that it is properly maintained. However, one thing that a lot of people do not like about this battery is that they are heavy and can experience a significant reduction in performance over time.
The more popular models are equipped with a lithium-ion battery. They are known for being energetic, making it a popular choice in electronics. It is also lightweight, so this is going to make the weed eater more comfortable to use. The power output is not reduced over time, even if it has been through several recharges already.
Best Battery Powered Weed Eaters 2019 Comparison Table
Cell 1 / 2
Worx GT 2.0
Our Top Picks for Best Battery-Powered Weed Eaters Reviews 2019
Below are some of the top products that should be on your radar, as well as the reasons why we love them.
Black+Decker LST136 40V MAX Lithium String Trimmer
The brand name itself can already provide you with a good reason to choose this product over most of its competitors. It is powered by a lithium-ion battery that can also be used with other gardening tools from the company.
One of the best features of this cordless string trimmer is the automatic line feed spool. Basically, the latter will allow you to save a lot of time when working in the garden. Because of this feature, you won’t have to make manual adjustments in the spool.
For your convenience, the height and the handle can be adjusted based on what you are most comfortable with. Regardless if you are short or tall, you can customize it as desired.
The Power Drive Transmission is another notable innovation that you will find in this product. This will provide better cutting power to the strings compared to the transmission in the older models from the same company.
It comes with a command dial, making it easy for you to adjust the speed as desired. You will have the freedom to choose from 6,500 or 8,500 RPM depending on the requirements of a specific task.
Lastly, for your peace of mind, it is also good to know that the manufacturer is offering a warranty that lasts for three years.
· Delivers exceptional trimming power
· Ergonomic handle
· Does not require heavy maintenance
· Battery does not hold a charge for an extended period
· Auto string feed can be problematic
One of the things that we loved the most in this product is how it is a versatile gardening equipment. Aside from being a weed eater, it can also function as an edger and mower. The tool-free adjustment is also a plus, making it effortless to switch from one function to another,
It comes with a 12-inch cutting diameter, which will allow you to do more in a short span of time. The cutting line length, on the other hand, is 10 inches.
As for the battery, the unit is powered by a 32-volt Max Lithium battery. It has a decent runtime and power. On average, it takes three hours to have the battery fully charged.
Another feature that you will love in this product is the adjustable spacer guard. Basically, this will protect plants from potential damage while being able to deliver an effective trimming job.
The manufacturer is offering a 3-year warranty. More so, if you are unhappy within the first 30 days of its use, you can return it to the manufacturer, and they will issue an unconditional refund.
Lastly, the manufacturer promises to provide free spool for life! All that you have to do is to handle the shipping costs!
· Delivers multiple functionalities
· Lightweight and easy to use
· Wide cutting diameter
· Cutting string might be too small
· Battery is quite heavy
Greenworks 21362 40V Cordless String Strimmer
Even if this is a battery-powered model, a lot of its users were happy with the powerful trimming performance that it can deliver. In fact, many of its users note that the power is comparable to those that are equipped with a gas engine.
The brushless motor is one of the best features you will find in this product. More than the improved torque, the motor is also known for operating quietly. Plus, it helps to make the battery last longer.
You will also love the versatility of this product. It can provide excellent value for the money since you can use it in more ways than one. It is attachment capable, so you can connect compatible accessories to use it more than just as a weed eater.
However, there are some people who noted that the bump feed line can be an issue. If you are looking for a battery-powered weed eater that is easy to use, it will be better to choose a model that comes with an auto feed line.
· Detachable top mount motor
· Can work with other tools from the manufacturer
· Delivers powerful performance
· Battery takes a while to charge
· Can be too heavy for some users
Black+Decker LCC222 20V Max Lithium String Trimmer/Edger
If you are looking for a budget-friendly alternative, this is one product that should be on your radar. Even if it is cheap, there is no need to worry about its quality, especially because it is made by a globally trusted brand.
You will also love the fact that it comes as a combo kit. There is a bonus sweeper, which will be handy in cleaning driveways and decks, among others.
This can also prove to be an exceptional choice when it comes to the comfort that it can deliver to its users. It is lightweight, so you can expect that this won’t easily lead to fatigue.
The unit is powered by a 20V Max Lithium-ion battery. If you find this to be not powerful for your needs, you can upgrade to a 40V battery.
However, do not expect too much in terms of its performance. To avoid being disappointed, take note of the fact that it is designed only for light-duty tasks.
· Comes with a sweeper
· No need for bumping
· Not for heavy-duty applications
· Can be noisy
Dewalt DCST970X1 FLEXVOLT 60V Max-Lithium Ion String Trimmer
The mere fact that it is made by Dewalt can easily convince you to choose this over many others. It is powered by a 60V battery, which is one of the most powerful from the products that we have listed in this short guide.
One more thing that makes this an impressive product is the 15-inch cutting swath, which will allow you to do more in a short span of time. Despite this, however, take note that is suitable only for light-duty applications.
The price can be an overkill for some people, but this is not a thing that you have to worry about. It can provide excellent value for every dollar you will be spending. It is user-friendly and comes with an ergonomic design. The unit is also lightweight, so you won’t easily feel tired.
· Excellent battery life
· Easy to use
· Operates quietly
· String cassette is flimsy
· Can be prone to overheating
How to Choose Best Battery-Powered Weed Eaters
While you might be overwhelmed with the long list of the brands and models available, this should not be an excuse for you to decide in haste. To help you narrow down the possibilities, below are some of the most important factors to take into consideration.
· Shaft: There are two types of shafts that you can find in most string trimmers – straight and curved. Curved shafts are best if you are working on an open lawn. Straight shaft, on the other hand, tends to be the better option if you are working in tight spaces.
· Weight: The best option is one that is lightweight and well-balanced. See to it that the battery and the other components of the weed eater won’t add significant weight to the unit, which is important to ensure your highest level of comfort.
· Power Output: This is one of the most important technical specifications to take into account. This will have a direct impact on the overall performance of the string trimmer. More than the power, take into account how long the battery will last and how long it needs to be recharged.
· Ergonomics: More than just the weight, an ergonomic string trimmer is one that comes with a well-designed handle that will be easy for you to hold. It should also produce minimal vibration to make you comfortable as you work.
· Noise: Generally, battery-powered weed eaters are quiet when they operate. Nonetheless, there are still some products that can produce an annoying noise, which can affect your comfort.
Tips and Tricks in Using a Battery-Powered Weed Eater
Before we proceed to our product recommendations, below are some of the tips that will help in making the most out of your battery-powered string trimmer:
· Pay attention to the condition of the lawn before you start. It should be dry. When the grass is wet, there is a higher likelihood that they will get stuck and can also speed the wear of your weed eater.
· Work on the same place twice. This might seem like counter-intuitive, especially for those who are lazy, but this will provide an assurance that you will have a well-manicured lawn. Remember, you won’t be able to cut everything on a single pass, so it might be necessary to do a second pass.
· Before storage, make sure to clean the unit, especially the trimming head. Get rid of the excess trimmings that are stuck. They will be more difficult to remove when they already harden.
· When storing the unit, it will be best to take out the battery. Keep it neatly stored in a place away from direct heat.